Internationally Educated MLT

Internationally Educated MLTs (IEMLTs) are individuals that have completed a formal MLT program of study outside of Canada that has been deemed substantially equivalent to a Canadian MLT training program. The initial step before applying to the CMLTA for registration is to contact the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS) at to request a Prior Learning Assessment (PLA). The PLA will establish Canadian equivalency in order to determine readiness to challenge the applicable CSMLS certification examination. Once Canadian equivalency has been determined (by a third-party credential assessment organization), an individual will receive a PLA from the CSMLS indicating eligibility to challenge the certification examination. IEMLT applicants are required to submit an original stamped CSMLS PLA as part of their application or may request the CSMLS email a copy of the PLA directly to the CMLTA at Similar to new graduates of Canadian MLT training programs, IEMLTs may apply for CMLTA registration without CSMLS certification, provided the PLA indicates eligibility to challenge CSMLS certification examination and the CSMLS Confirmation of Examination Registration email has been issued. In this case, individuals that have not yet successfully challenged the CSMLS certification examination or have written and are awaiting confirmation of the examination results, may be issued a Provisional MLT Practice Permit. IEMLTs that have obtained CSMLS certification more than four (4) years ago and lack the minimum 900 MLT practice hours in the previous four (4) years, must complete a refresher education program as approved by Council within two (2) years of the date of the complete application is received by the CMLTA.

Helpful Information and Resources

Directions for Immigrants in Trades and Professional Careers
Directions for Immigrants is a no-cost career service center that assists internationally educated professionals to secure professional employment and gain accreditation. Directions for Immigrants helps internationally educated Medical Laboratory Technologists prepare for the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS) certification examination. To learn more, visit

The CSMLS offers assistance to find employment in Canada as an internationally trained professional. There are many career options and potential career alternatives for individuals that want to use their medical laboratory skills in a non-licensed or unregulated field. To learn more visit Alternate Careers website.

Bridging Programs
Bridging programs are refresher courses for individuals who have already completed post-secondary studies in medical laboratory technology and wish to re-enter the workforce and practice their profession again or for individuals who trained outside of Canada and wish to practice their profession in Canada. Bridging programs provide support and training needed as a result of the knowledge gap detected in a CSMLS Prior Learning Assessment. To learn more about a bridging program offered in New Brunswick visit

Government of Alberta
Alberta’s official immigration website has information on employment in Alberta, regulated professions, and accreditation. To learn more, visit: 

Government of Canada
The Foreign Credentials Referral Office has additional information on becoming an MLT in Canada. To learn more, visit:

University Of Toronto
The University of Toronto offers the course “Orientation to the Canadian Health Care System, Culture and Context”. This course is designed for internationally educated health professionals who are in the process of becoming licensed in Canada. It is offered twice per year and provides learners with a deepened understanding of the Canadian healthcare system, what Canadian patients expect from their healthcare providers, and how to communicate with patients and caregivers. Participants will have an opportunity to interact with other internationally educated health care professionals in a supportive learning environment. To learn more visit

Comments are closed.